Facts and dishes to help you lead a healthy Navratri
Remember those New Year resolutions which you thought to swear by for this year but didn’t turn up for it?
If you’re amongst us, who sweared by leading a healthy life by eating healthy, here’s your chance!
The festive season is all up and ready to spread happiness all around with the onset of Navratris!
The most amazing fact about Indian festivals is that, they are not just celebrated out of religious beliefs but also are backed up with scientific reasoning.
The purpose of fasting during Navratris is to detoxify and cleanse the body and prepare it to combat with the season change as the immunity during this time goes really down. Hence fasting helps in healing the body and also refreshes it from within.
But instead of following a Sattvik diet which basically comprises of fruits, milk and veggies, most people tend to opt for extremely fried food which in turn doesn’t help solve the purpose of fasting at all.
Some of the healthy facts about the food in Navratri are-
- Kuttu ka aata(Buckwheat flour) consumption is linked with a number of health benefits.It is also rich in protein and offers more of amino acids lysine which is found missing in our staple diet of wheat or rice.Rich in fiber, buckwheat flour helps in controlling high blood sugar level which helps in preventing type 2 diabetes. It also helps in detoxifying the body as it binds itself to toxins and helps excrete through the gut.
- Sendha namak(rock salt) which is the only salt to be used during Navratris helps in absorbing minerals better than common salt and also benefits the blood pressure.
- Roasted, boiled and baked food items throughout the day helps keeping the belly light so even if you plan to have a little amount of fried food, it won’t harm much as it gets balanced.
- Jaggery and honey for all your sweet tooth cravings. Unlike other days when you have nutella, chocolate and all sorts of candies to overcome your sweet cravings, during these 9 days you control them with extremely healthy and unadulterated food like jaggery and honey.
- Have more of water, natural fruit and vegetable juices, green tea, milk and buttermilk unlike the other days when we simply sip by aerated drinks to cool down our body.
Quick and extremely healthy dishes this Navratri-
- Sabudana Khichdi-
- 1 cup of sabudana
- ¼ cup of peanuts
- 1-2 springs of curry leaves
- 1 tbsp ghee
- Potato(not necessarily)
- Rock salt to taste
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Wash and soak sabudana in water for 3-4 hours.
- Drain the excess water when sabudana is well separated and moist.
- In a pan, roast the peanuts in ghee. Add curry leaves and cumin seeds to it.
- When the cumin seeds begin to crackle, add small pieces of nicely diced potato. Cook it until they become soft.
- Add sabudana to the pan and sauté well for 4-5minutes.
- Add lemon juice, salt and a little of water and serve hot.
As sabudana is rich in carbs, this light dish would give you the needful amount of energy boost for fasts.
- Kuttu ka Dosa-
Instead of those heavy kuttu ki puris and cutlets, try going by making healthy dosa’s this time.
- ½ kg of abri
- ½ kg of potato
- 1 tbsp of Ghee
- 1 cup of kuttu ka atta
- Rock salt
- 1 tbsp of ajwain
- 1 tbsp of ginger
- 1 tbsp of red/green chillies
In order to make dosa’s, you’d be requiring potato filling to stuff in the dosa
To prepare the filling-
- Heat the pan and add ghee to the base.
- Crush the potatoes into the pan and toss it until it becomes light brown in colour.
- Take it out and leave aside and lets get started with the dosas.
To prepare the dosa’s-
- Peel off arbi and mash it in a bowl. Mix it with flour and salt.
- To make a batter out of it, mix it with water.
- Add ajwain, red/green chillies and ginger.
- Keep adding water and stirring the batter to make it smooth enough in consistency.
- Once the batter is ready, light up the pan and add ghee to it.
- Pour in some batter and cook for a few minutes.
- To keep it easy to be turned onto the other side, add a little ghee to the sides of the batter.
- Now once both the sides are nicely cooked, add the potato filling to the top and fold the dosa and serve hot.
- Makhane ki kheer-
- 1 cup of roasted makhane
- 2 cups of milk
- 3-4 green cardamom
- Dry fruits like almonds or cashew
- 1 tbsp of golden raisins
- 2-3 tbsp of sugar
- In a thick bottomed pan, add 2 cups of milk and let it boil. Keep stirring the milk so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom.
- While the milk is getting boiled, from the 1 cup of roasted makhane, take 2/3rd of it and add to a blender. Also add cardamom and grind the mixture.
- Now when the milk boils, add 2-3 tbsp of sugar( as per your taste).
- Add the reserved 1/3rd cup of makhane to this milk.
- Add the grounded 2/3rd cup of mixture too to it and stir well.
- Also add the raisins and the dry fruits including cashew and almonds to the mixture and stir well till the makhane soften.
- Now, you can serve the makhane ki kher hot or cold as per the preference.
Desserts like these help resolve sweet tooth cravings while keeping it low fat.
- Banana walnut lassi-
- 1-2 bananas
- 1 tbsp of walnuts
- 1 tbsp of flax seeds
- 1 tbsp of honey
- Add yogurt, honey and bananas into a food processor.
- Blend the mixture well to make a smoothie.
- Transfer it to a glass and add walnuts and flax seeds on the top.
- Serve cold.
The drink is extremely nourishing and charges you up.
- Sabudana Kheer-
- 1 cup of sabudana
- 2 cups of milk
- Dry fruits like almonds, raisins and cashew (grounded)
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- Soak 1 cup of sabudana for 3-4hours in water and rinse well when it becomes separated and moist.
- Take a thick bottomed pan and add 2 cups of milk to it.
- Heat it until it starts to boil.
- Add 2 tbsp of sugar to it.(May vary as per taste)
- Stir well and add sabudana to it.
- Let the mixture boil and add dry fruits on top.
- Take it out in a bowl and let it freeze and then serve cold.
With these yummilicious dishes, you can achieve the goodness of fasting the right way.
Try out your favorite dishes and also if you’ve got any other healthy and traditional home recipe, don’t forget to share with us.=